Saturday, November 04, 2006

I still can't believe it

Modeste is our day-guard. He arrives at our house at 8am each morning and is there until after 5pm, doing odd-jobs and looking after the property. This is a 7-day-a-week job, with 1 month of holidays per year.
For this he is paid 10,000 Rwf (£10) per month by the Diocese. We pay him a samll supplement to this.

We had an old table which we offered to Modeste and I offered to deliver it to his house.

It took us 20 minutes to get there in the Toyota pick-up, it was more than 10km. The walking distance, which he covers twice per day, is slightly less than this, but there are a couple of steep hills on the way (inevitably).

I've spent some time thinking about this and perhaps I'll write later, but toady I leave the bare facts, which I still can't quite believe even after having made the journey twice.

No comments: