Friday, October 12, 2007

Starting the day

I was wakened at 0545 this morning by a knock on the door.  Even by Rwandan standards this is early, but I was not surprised to find that it was Kenneth, the head teacher of the local primary and a good friend.  Yesterday he got back from Kigali with 2 pupils who had taken part in a national language competition.  At 0200 this morning(!) he had a phone call to say that they had won and that they needed to be back in Kigali (by 1200) for the ceremony.

My part was to supply a loan of £30, because the school had no petty cash and a lift to the bus station for the 3 of them to catch the 0630 taxi.  The children were immaculately dressed and of course were quite excited about all this.  

In return, I get a day away from the office, because he also told me that it had been announced on the radio the night before that today is a public holiday because of a Muslim celebration.  It’s still beyond me that there can be a national plan for the year 2020 but a competition for children and a public holiday cannot be organised 24 hours in advance.  I suppose it shows that culture goes much deeper than we sometimes think.

1 comment:

Crawford said...

Ian,

Please pass on my congratulations to Kenneth (and to the children) - what a wonderful achievement... and how 'African' the last minute arrangements and yet all done without any evident un-due stress (where did the mothers get fresh, ironed clothes between 2am and 5am?!!).

As you say - we forget how much our expectations/assumptions are shaped by our culture. (Mind you sometimes even within your own culture things happen that beggar belief - so how anyone from another culture would begin to un-pack those I wouldn't like to guess...)

Love to Sheena,
C.