Saturday, December 01, 2007

Antibiotics

There is no question that I have “new eyes” on the subject of antibiotics. Even way back as a microbiology student I learned about microbes acquiring resistance and the threat this could pose to the effectiveness of antibiotics. In the UK, of course, there is great caution among doctors about prescribing antibiotics and MRSA (multiply-resistant Staphylcoccus aureus) is a big problem in hospitals. Sparing use is one of the main strategies for preventing the spread of resistance.
However, after 3 skin infections this year, all requiring minor surgery, my attitude here is very different and could now be described as “the more the merrier” and “the sooner the better”. For some reason I seem to be vulnerable to these skin infections and they have been very virulent and quite severe. I have just finished another course in response to having an infected spot on the back of my neck and for the first time the drugs were successful in preventing the spread of infection. As they can be bought at any pharmacy, I will also keep a supply handy in case of further need.
It has brought a new realisation of how attitudes can change as a result of personal circumstances and need. My desire to avoid further problems (and in particular any more surgery!) certainly overrides any other considerations about limited use of antibiotics.
In general, there is a lot of faith in and use of drugs in Rwanda among those who can afford them. I have also known a few cases of people who have spent more money than they could afford. By western standards, they are very cheap : our anti-malarials cost one tenth of what we paid in the UK. However, it seems that there is a readiness to prescribe a lot of drugs and people will have quite long prescriptions with a variety of medications.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very insightful and interesting article. my sister and i enjoy reading your blog :-)