Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A strange conversation with the traffic police

Traffic police are very common on the main roads and it is not unusual to be stopped. Long conversations are unusual, however : the normal routine is to check documents and sometimes less than that. Last week, however, I got into a much longer and deeper conversation, rather against my will. The tone was friendly throughout and on reflection it was a very revealing insight into how an ordinary Rwandan sees the "big issues" in the wider Anglican church.

TP : Where are you going?
Me : Kigali
TP : What are you going to do in Kigali? (this was already more detail than anyone usually asks)
Me : We are going to a conference
TP : What kind of conference?
Me : It is a conference for missionaries (hoping this will mean an end to the conversation)
TP : Oh, are you a pastor? (the usual question which follows)
Me : No, I am a projects manager
TP : With the Pentecostal Church?
Me : No, with the Anglican church
TP : You have just changed your name, haven't you?
Me : Yes, we were the Episcopal church and now we are the Anglican church. (by this time I am regretting letting on I can speak French)
TP : That was because of problems with homosexuality.
Me : Oh, that is a matter for the bishops (this is very deep water now and I don't want to be in it!)
TP : That's what I heard on the radio
Me : Well, we must be going

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.